NITI Aayog known as National institution for transforming India came into existence on 1-January-2015 with good bye to six decades old planning commission. Planning Commission was established in 1950s to respond to development needs of India after independence .It made resources available to state government to meet their development needs and come up with five years plans for development . It was set up by the resolution of GOI on 1950.
Why the need felt to replace Planning Commission with Niti Aayog?
1. Most of the criticism regarding planning commission was that it thrust his development agenda on states without their active collaboration and not considering their social economic uniqueness. One size fit for all solution was followed by planning commission.
2. Niti Aayog will be more like think tank advising central and state governments on strategic and technical issues across the spectrum of key elements of policy where as in planning commission there was no active participation of stakeholders.
3. In Niti Aayog will have all the state chief ministers and Lt. Governors included in the governing council where as in planning commission state chief ministers were not actively involved .
4. The mantra of Niti Aayog is inclusiveness with states as partners ,equality, transparency , pro people ,empowering which was not visible in planning commission. So the big difference is states now have a greater say ,where as it was planning commission the formulate plans for state without their active involvement and asked the states to implement those plans .Niti Aayog will followed the bottom to top model of development to meet the specific development needs of village, states by having provision to foam regional development council. It will provide flexible approach in development to pick experts from various sectors.
Niti Aayog will have
1. Prime Minister as chairman
3. Vice chairman
4. Full time members
5. Two part time members
6. Four union ministers as ex-officio members
7. Governing council comprising of all state chief ministers and Lt. Governors.
8. Regional Councils which will be formed to address any state specific issues.
9. Invitees from different fields having relevant domain knowledge.
Recently appointed members to Niti Aayog
Ø · Arvind Panagariya appointed as Vice Chairman of Niti Aayog.
Ø · Bibek Debroy and VK Saraswat DRDO chief were appointed as full-time
Ø · Union Ministers Rajnath Singh, Arun Jaitley, Suresh Prabhu and Radha
Ø Mohan Singh will be the Ex-Officio members .
Ø · Nitin Gadkari, Smriti Zubin Irani and Thawar Chand Gehlot -- Special
There are many challenges that lie ahead in front of Niti Aayog ,the biggest challenge
is to take all stakeholders on board to full fill the aspirations of common man and take
the development to village level by making policies that are people centric or it just
prove to be old wine in new bottle .