Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine-2015 announced
- The Nobel Committee for Physiology or Medicine on 5 October 2015 announced the recipients of the 2015 award.
- The 2015 prize was divided, one half jointly to William C Campbell (Ireland) and Satoshi Omura (Japan) for their discoveries concerning a novel therapy against infections caused by roundworm parasites and the other half to Youyou Tu (China) for her discoveries concerning a novel therapy against Malaria.
Contributions of Awardees
1. William C Campbell is an Irish biochemist, Biologist and Parasitologist known for his discoveries concerning a novel therapy against infections caused by roundworms. Currently, he is a research fellow emeritus at Drew University, Madison in New Jersey, the USA.
2. Satoshi Omura is a Japanese biochemist. He is known for the discovery and development of various originally occurring microorganisms in pharmaceuticals to treat roundworm. At present, he is associated with the Kitasato University of Japan.
3. Youyou Tu is a Chinese medical scientist, pharmaceutical chemist, and educator best known for discovering artemisinin (also known as Qinghaosu) and dihydroartemisinin, used to treat malaria. At present, she is working at the China Academy of Traditional Chinese Medicine.