History is all set to change with all over for planning commission and new institution know as NITI Aayog set to take his role.
The main aim of forming Niti Aayog is pro people development by following up
bottom up approach and with active participation of all stakeholders. It has been set
up as a think-tank for formulating a new policy framework in keeping with the
changes and challenges of rapidly evolving socio-economic scenario in the country.
The thought behind its establishment to work as enabler or catalyst for development
not as provider for development. Aayog will provide strategic and technical advice on
issues of “national and international importance” to the Centre and states.
NITI Aayog known as National institution for transforming India came
Into existence on 1-January-2015 with good bye to six decades old planning
commission. Planning Commission was established in 1950s to respond to
development needs of Indiaafter independence .It made resources available to state
government to meet their development needs and come up with five years plans for
development . It was set up by the resolution of GOI on 1950.
So Why the need felt to replace Planning Commission with Niti Aayog
1. Most of the criticism regarding planning commission was that it thrust his
development agenda on states without their active collaboration and not
considering their social economic uniqueness. One size fit for all solution was
followed by planning commission.
2. Niti Aayog will be more like think tank advising central and state governments
on strategic and technical issues across the spectrum of key elements of policy
where as in planning commission there was no active participation of
3. In Niti Aayog will have all the state chief ministers and Lt. Governors
included in the governing council where as in planning commission state chief
ministers were not actively involved .
Banking Awareness Guide
The mantra of Niti Aayog is inclusiveness with states as partners ,equality,
transparency ,pro people ,empowering which was not visible in planning
commission. So the big difference is states now have a greater say ,where as it was planning
commission the formulate plans for state without their active involvement and asked
the states to implement those plans .Niti Aayog will followed the bottom to top
model of development to meet the specific development needs of village, states by
having provision to foam regional development council. It will provide flexible
approach in development to pick experts from various sectors.
Niti Aayog will have
1. Prime Minister as chairman
3. Vice chairman
4. Full time members
5. Two part time members
6. Four union ministers as ex-officio members
7. Governing council comprising of all state chief ministers and Lt. Governors.
8. Regional Councils which will be formed to address any state specific issues.
9. Invitees from different fields having relevant domain knowledge.
Recently appointed members to Niti Aayog
· Arvind Panagariya appointed as Vice Chairman of Niti Aayog.
· Bibek Debroy and VK Saraswat DRDO chief were appointed as full-time members.
· Union Ministers Rajnath Singh, Arun Jaitley, Suresh Prabhu and Radha Mohan Singh will be the Ex-Officio members .
· Nitin Gadkari, Smriti Zubin Irani and Thawar Chand Gehlot – Special Invitees.
There are many challenges that lie ahead in front of Niti Aayog ,the biggest challenge
is to take all stakeholders on board to full fill the aspirations of common man and take
the development to village level by making policies that are people centric or it just
prove to be old wine in new bottle .